New School Artsy Eggs

When I was young, I always looked forward to making colored Easter eggs to fill my Easter basket. I was a young adult before I realized there can be much more to creating easter eggs than I once imagined.

So this year, in addition to the normal easter egg batch, I'm going to try my hand at a slightly different type of easter egg. This year I'm taking my inspiration from mud cloth designs, which I have in my fabric arsenal. (You can also use a favorite knit pattern, floral pattern or any simple sketch from your journal).

I'll need to buy:

eggs
straight pins
wax (beeswax and parrafin)
dyes
paper towels

After I'm finished with the batch of our traditional dyed eggs, I'll save a few unboiled eggs and take the yolks out.




I have practiced mudcloth designs on paper before, but never on an egg.
The lines on the egg will be created by the wax resist (similar to a batik technique). I will apply the melted wax to the egg with a writing tool (toothpicks, skewers, pins) and then soak the egg in a single dye to keep things simple.



To remove the wax, hold the egg near a flame (but not close enough to burn it), and wipe away melted wax with the paper or cloth towels. Then apply 2 - 3 coats of clear water-based varnish.

Be Creative,

Lise

1 comment:

Crafty Green Poet said...

what a wonderfully modern way to decorate Easter eggs! I've never decorated Easter eggs (!!) and obviously too late for this year, but I may try this next year....