Making Dorm Rooms a Little Greener

Last year I posted some information about how to make a drab dorm room into something better. Today there is an article in the Washington Post about how dorm room decor is becoming big business - and incidentally, becoming more green.

They do note that decorating many dorm rooms each year is more about consumption than it is about recycling, reusing or reducing - but if we all do a little better in our shopping decisions - we can help the planet in the long run. So let's see how we can shop greener for your new dorm room...

- Linens -

A new move to a dorm room requires new bedding? Not quite. If you happen to have an extra-long twin at home, consider taking your linens from home. Second best idea is to buy revived vintage linens and hand-made pillows. There are more than a few places on Etsy for you to shop for bedding and pillows. And one of the best reasons to shop Etsy is that you know your dorm room will never look like any other room. Pillows and sheets can also be sent to your child mid-year :: just around the time when they should be getting some extra rest in anticipation of mid-terms. There's a nice subtle hint. Anyway - check out:
Joom
Use it Again
Cat Nap Cottage

If your bed has a plain metal or wood headboard, make it cozier by covering it with a simple fabric slipcover.

- Small spaces + active young adults = the need for clean fragrance. But not any fragrance - try soy candles which are clean burning and low soot. Or if burning things in the room is restricted, turn to natural spray air fresheners.

Check here:
Wendy Lous Natural Bath
Let Your Light Shine
Angel Bella Body

Now then onto lighting. Forgo the cheaply made and boring desk lamp from Walmart and opt for something more fun and funky. Buying smart now means at the end of our undergrad program, we won't want to trash these beautiful light sources - but cherish them forever. Some of my favorites are:

Nightlights at Gamiworks
or Beetnik
and Yours Truly.

Now finally the walls. Most freshman dorms I've seen are small and well... ugly. I mentioned several ideas last year for covering the walls. But I'm always inspired to find new wall adornments. Here are a few:

Magnetic Chalk Boards
Memo Board
Skinny Magnet Board
Thumbtacks

And here are yet a few more things to inspire you as you deck out your new dorm.

Sew Your Own Dorm Stuff

Keeping Chests for extra storage.
Bedroom Design Kit for laying out your dorm room before you get there!

Enjoy!

Lise


Update:

Soy Candles Sources from Etsy include:

My personal favorite Soy Candles because it looks like it's in a recycled tin can! :-) 

Thanks to Ashley Sue for reminding me to add these!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lise!
I love these tips! Oh, I wish when I were doing up my dorm I had thought about such things. I was too busy buying disposable and plastic everything, it seemed. How far we come.

Do you know a good source for buying soy candles? I'm stumped. Especially since I'm looking for soy or palm wax pillar candles NOT in glass (freestanding, you know).

Hope you are well!

BTW, I have a new link. The previous one is kaputt ~ so you can find me at greengrounded.com

:: creative brand strategies :: demand generation :: said...

Hi Ashley Sue,

I did leave off the soy candles huh? Darn my memory. The soy candles without glass are not as abundant as you know. (I did run into a company that does soy candles in post-consumer recycled glass when I was at the Atlanta trade show but I can't find their info right now.) There are a few other places online that have soy and soy blend candles - so I will add them to the post. Thanks for reminding me!

mcdc3s said...

Great suggestions, as usual.

mcdc3s said...

Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Years to you and yours. I've missed reading your blog. ~mcdc3s/Maralena